Welcome

My pack of 5 keep me grounded, remind me that life was meant to be simple and that indeed love is truely unconditional. Permit me to share some of that with you....

Well, it's April 8th, 2008 and I finally have the bones of my doggy blog set up!! Pun intended. I'm so proud! Blogger.com is great! I'll be blogging about my pack of five shepherd mixes, animal stories and sharing some of my travels. If you would like to learn more about the pack check out my website http://devettos.googlepages.com/home.


The Rainforest Site

Saturday, July 5, 2008

Jamaica Blue Mountain hike 2008

This week we left the pack to go on a long overdue overnight hiking trip to Blue Mountain Peak. I had been eagerly preparing for my first such hike for weeks by walking in our hilly neighbourhood and exercising along with Gilad DVDs. So well excited, I felt ready for the trip, 7 miles up and 7 miles down the steep mountain trails with a change in elevation of about 3,200 ft.

We set out from about 2:30pm to drive up to the end of the mountain road where you will find Whitfield Hall. We picked up a friend and our nephew along the way and were to meet four more friends up there. For at least half of the 2 hr drive, only a 4 wheel drive vehicle can make it....so you can imagine the country roads we had to drive on.




The scenery on the journey is gorgeous, but at no point in time can you actually see Blue Mountain Peak...the highest point in Jamaica at 7,402 ft or 2,256 m above sea level.
On arriving at the rustic Whitfield Hall hostel, nestled at 4,200ft above sea level, we were greeted by our hosts, Tiger and later Vinney. We also met the friendly farm dogs who we were told just might accompany us on our trip.
We were introduced to our 2 small rooms with bunk beds, bathroom facilities complete with running water like ice, the great room lit by a tilley lamp and the lovely outdoor garden. You could see, smell and feel the history in the old farmhouse.

When the others arrived, we had a lovely dinner cooked by Tiger in the small farmhouse kitchen, equipped with running water, stove and kerosene powered fridge and freezer. We then donned our coats and went outside to enjoy the starlight in the garden. Fireflies, called "peenie wallies", darted around, and cool mountain breeze enveloped us. I had never seen so many stars!!!

By about 9:00pm it was time to get some shut-eye as we were to start the trek at 2:00am in the morning. We eventually left at 2:30am for what we were told was a 3-1/2hr walk to the Peak. With coats and backpacks on our backs and flashlights in hand, our party of 8 headed off to greet the sunrise at the peak.

More later.......

Blessings to you and do come again!

No comments:

The Animal Rescue Site